Mr. Peterson joined the F&A Planning Team in September of 2020. Prior to joining Flowers & Associates, Mr. Peterson worked for the County of Santa Barbara’s Planning & Development Review Division evaluating development applications for adherence to County zoning regulations and environmental laws. A large part of his work focused on permitting and regulatory compliance for cannabis cultivation. He handled some of the largest, most complex and controversial projects in Santa Barbara County’s fledgling cannabis industry.
He also conducted environmental review on proposed projects under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and integrated regulatory requirements of various local, state and federal agencies such as the US Fish and Wildlife Service, the California Department of Fish and Game and the Santa Barbara County Environmental Health Department.
He also supervised North County comprehensive planning projects including:
- Santa Ynez Valley Community Plan
- Managed preparation of area plan for 231,000 acre planning area, including 3 separate towns and extensive agricultural and natural lands.
- Prepared zoning ordinances on mixed-use development, environmentally sensitive habitat, and light pollution protection.
- Presented plans to the Board of Supervisors, Planning Commission, Agricultural Advisory Committee, and Board of Architectural Review.
- Los Alamos Community Plan Update
- Old Town Orcutt Revitalization Program and Design Guidelines
- Managed effort to revise the zoning ordinance to promote pedestrian-friendly, architecturally compatible development in a historic downtown area.
- Lead cooperative effort with design consultant and Public Works Department to redesign main street to improve streetscape and pedestrian safety and comfort. Worked with business-owner coalition and citizen group to identify barriers to revitalization and derive solutions.
- Mr. Peterson also served four years on the City of San Luis Obispo Planning Commission including two years as Chair.
Master of City and Regional Planning (MCRP), California Polytechnic State University
B.A. International Affairs, University of Colorado
American Planning Association